E2 Flame neck 1 piece Spalted top.

Guitars by Todd Lunneborg of Andover, MN
tlguitars
Include Off Topic: Yes

E2 Flame neck 1 piece Spalted top.

Post by tlguitars » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:09 pm

E2 Flame neck 1 piece Spalted worm holes top.

I'm getting ready to do a crazy amount of work. And the guys here at Luthiercom.org gave me this space to spread out and work through my builds. So I'm going to finish 2-3 old half started instruments and 2-4 prototypes. No ones buying right now, I have the wood and the ideas, and besides I'm bored just waiting for commissions to come in, and just writing articles. So wish me luck cuz I'm getting to work.

My E2 model is a Neck Through guitar with a Les Paul or PRS style drop top.

So I bought enough of this well flamed (AA to AAA) mono-toned spalted maple to make what I thought would equal 15 one piece tops. I started cutting it (2 years later) and found that hidden on the inside of every board are worm holes. Well farms and plantations really. Highways, school systems and government offices all hidden underneath my perfect and clean top surfaces. So rather then waste all but 1 maybe 2 tops I'm going to build these spalted guitars to completion.

I had already glued the necks up before I found the holes. To be honest I let them go to the side because I figured they wouldn't sell because they wouldn't be clean enough. But I'm now at the point where I think wood is wood, worms and all and I'm going to make these 2 guitars scream to be played no matter how they look. So watch out cuz here they come!!!