les paul junior DC.....less than £100!!

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!
howie123
Include Off Topic: Yes

les paul junior DC.....less than £100!!

Post by howie123 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:20 am

Well seeing as I have managed to upload some more pics to photobucket I guess I better share them. This guitar came about as a result of some very frugal buying and finding a 42 x 16.5 x 1.75 sapele board on the offcuts bin at my favourite local sawmill..... did I mention it was dressed to 1.75" already?.... yeah I got 2 bodies out of it for £12.00....... not a bad start on the budget build. The same offcut bin supplied a 40"length of 6" x 3" also dressed for £4.00ish andthat gave me 2 one piece necks. All of the sapele was quarter sawn too! The rest of the parts were the result of trawling ebay and taking a punt on some very cheap components , mostly from a factory based in hong kong, so the gibson deluxe stamped kluson tuners were £6.86 including shipping, the pair of P90 soapbar pickups were £8.90 inc shipping and the bridgewas a fiver ....aslo inc shipping!!! the cts pots are from axesrus in the uk a £4.90 each and the orange drop cap was just over a quid, jack and plate were £3.00 and the double action truss rod was £7.00, fretwire was £15 for 5 metres so I used about £3.00's worth on this guitar the speed knobs were £2.00 and the Gibson aluninium strap pins were £4.00. Gold MOP dots set me back another £2.99 for the 12 of them inc shipping , the wenge fingerboard and head veneer worked out at about £3.00 for the pair as I got a board of it for £20 last year and made 8 fretboards and head veneers from it plus a few truss rod covers. The stain and laquer maybe worked out at £5.00 as I already had it and buy it by the gallon . The pickguard material cost £14.00 but II already made 2 picguards for these LP's and have enough left over for at least a strat guard, so that cost maybe £3.00 of this one. The guitar has had 3 wet coats of laquer following grainfill and stain and is curing proir to wet sanding and a further finish coat or 2 .... so here are the pics so far ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage and yeah I did rout for 2 pickups and then change my mind so the neck pickup rout has been filled with sapele, cavity cover is also sapele and the neck has 24 frets instead of the standard 22 but still uses the gibson 24.75 scale length .... I was gonna post more but I'm getting it in the neck from my bette half... so later dudes!!
Chief Woodbotherer @ Littlefair Luthiery