'Nother DC carved top Semi

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!
howie123
Include Off Topic: Yes

'Nother DC carved top Semi

Post by howie123 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:37 am

ImageIts been a while so I thought I'd post some pics of this DC carved top thingy inspired by Colins 339 build. I had a one piece sapele DC I decided to hollow out and stick some maple on as the Sapele was very heavy! Also decided to try out the Liberon oil finsh on this build also before ruining something else with it... So it started out a bit like thisImageImageImageImage Lots of firebricks and bobbin clamps attatch the top to the back...... better safe than sorry I thinkImageImage Much blood Sweat and Swearing later the black spirit stain is applied with a rag. As the top was only about 11mm thick at the start of the carving process it left the sides very thin and this required binding rather than leaving the natural bound look I normally use.... This lead me to the first use of plastic binding ever, on anything.... its so easy compared to using wood it was like cheating!!ImageImageImage some oil finish was then added Image and thats about where I'm at for now with this build.. waiting for the hardware to turn up in the post ... the neck is also finished but the pics went missing, I'll post more once its strung up !
Chief Woodbotherer @ Littlefair Luthiery